Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ode To Running



I still remember the first time I ever ran. It was in 2007 a few months before I was pregnant with Brinlee. It was impossible. My lungs hurt, my feet hurt, and I was miserable the whole four minutes I ran. I went to community park and only ran from the swing set to the bathrooms which is not only half of one time around the park. I never did sports growing up or was ever interested in exercise. The only reason I started to run was because my sister inspired me to do so. She is an amazing athlete and has competed in several Iron man Triathlons.










It was like pulling teeth every time I would go running or rather "slow jogging" At that time Andrew worked nights so I after work I spent my time at the gym on the treadmill mostly because I had nothing else to do. After a while I worked my way up to three miles on the treadmill. I thought three miles was pretty good. That's a 5k! So in May I entered my first 5k. It was so hard for me! I finished in 35 min and was panting so hard. Two weeks later I found out I was pregnant! So I stopped running and and to start all over in the spring after I had her. My goal was to run a half marathon by the end of the year. It was a fun summer of running with my Neighbor and her baby. We took our little strollers everywhere! In October I ran my first half. For mothers day last may Andrew gave me a watch that is a GPS that tells you your miles, time and calories burned. It is my favorite running tool! I pulled up my history on my watch. Since May I have ran....
320 miles
62 hours
543195 Calories

I'm pretty proud considering a few short years ago I was a couch potato! I never ever thought I would be a runner but since May I have ran two half marathons, one full, and 4 5k, In all different places including Rexburg, Boise, Utah, Pocatello, and New York City. Not to bad for one summer of running.
Now that its getting colder I still try to run outside but soon it will come to an end for the winter. I am grateful for this summer and how active I was still able to be while juggling Andrews crazy work schedule, my own work and being a mom. Running has brought such joy to my life and if I can do it anyone can do it! I hope my little family will always stay active and no matter how hard it gets "Just keep Running!!"

3 comments:

  1. Marci you are truly amazing!! I think it's great that you have gotten in to running!! It's something i wish i could do!! Maybe someday i'll get as inspired as you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey marci,
    It's Jenna (Powell) Johnson. I just came across your blog! I love that you run! Good for you!!! Your sister in law just moved from my ward and said you lived here...if you ever need a running buddy let me know!

    ReplyDelete